Prince Harry and Meghan are moving back to Britain with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, for an extended period beginning this month. According to PEOPLE, the children are expected to start school in the U.K. in September. The move marks a major change for the Sussexes after six years of family life in California.
WEBDESK – Mehr Un Nisa – SHARJAH NEWS
Sussexes Plan New U.K. Home Base
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will establish a private, non-royal home base in Britain. They will continue to maintain their home in Montecito, California, and their vacation property in Portugal.
The exact location of their new British home has not been revealed. The school Archie and Lilibet will attend is also being kept private.
The family previously lived at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor. However, they gave up the property after King Charles asked them to leave in 2023.
The new arrangement will not mean a return to royal duties. Harry and Meghan will remain private individuals and non-working members of the royal family.
King Charles Welcomes Family Move
King Charles was informed about the couple’s plans on August 16, according to PEOPLE. He is said to welcome the opportunity to spend more private and personal time with Archie and Lilibet.
The move follows a recent family visit to Britain. Harry, Meghan and their children reunited with King Charles at Highgrove House. It was the children’s first meeting with their grandfather in more than four years.
The family also visited Althorp House, where Princess Diana spent part of her childhood and is buried. They spent time with members of the Spencer family during the visit.
Harry Can Spend More Time With U.K. Charities
The U.K. move could allow Harry to spend more time supporting charities and causes close to him.
He has longstanding connections with WellChild and Scotty’s Little Soldiers. He also remains involved with the Invictus community.
Harry is expected to return to Britain in September for WellChild-related engagements and events connected to the Invictus Games. The inaugural Invictus Spirit Awards and gala are also among the planned events.
Meanwhile, Meghan will continue leading her lifestyle company, As Ever, while pursuing future projects from the couple’s international bases.
Security Remains A Major Concern
Security has been a major issue for Harry and Meghan since they stepped away from royal duties.
The couple lost taxpayer-funded police protection after leaving their senior royal roles. Harry has since pursued a lengthy legal battle over his security arrangements.
He has argued that the Royal and VIP Executive Committee should conduct a fresh risk assessment. Against this background, the decision to establish a private U.K. home base is significant.
A spokesperson for Harry and Meghan declined to comment on security matters.
Relationship With Royal Family Remains Complicated
Harry has gradually rebuilt some contact with King Charles. However, his relationship with his brother, Prince William, remains distant.
PEOPLE reported in July that there had been no contact between the brothers. Harry previously said he wanted reconciliation with his family and hoped the conflict could eventually end.
The latest U.K. plans therefore represent a notable new chapter for the Sussexes. The family will keep their life in California while creating a private base in Britain.
For Harry, the move could provide greater access to his British charities and longtime friends. For Meghan and the children, it creates a closer connection to Britain while allowing the family to maintain its independent life.
The decision also suggests the Sussexes are seeking a balance between their established life overseas and stronger ties to Harry’s home country. Their children’s education, family connections and Harry’s charity work are expected to play an important role in this new chapter.
